21 July 2021

FEATURED POST SPOTLIGHT > MESA ARTSPACE Christine Cassano : Sound, Synesthesia, Studio Explorations & Santa Fe

It is a pleasure to know Christine Cassano although not seeing or talking with her in-person for obvious reasons.
Tim

As the world begins to reopen, I'm excited to share some developments with you. As a person with Synesthesia, sound has always been an exceptionally powerful visual experience. Yet as an artist, I don't have an interest in re-creating my experience of Synesthesia. Rather, it's important to me that Synesthesia remain the source, or conduit used to thoughtfully develop and create my work. Fully embracing this has led me "home" as I continue to explore the convergence of our ecological, technological and cosmological systems. I've been deeply inspired by what is happening in the studio along with the artistic connections and collaborations that have formed as a result. Below are several quick videos and a great article of enjoying this journey. 
 
Using sound vibration as medium and bronze foramina as the tool. Dipped in paint, these bronze sculptures are vibrated across the surface to create paintings. You can view more paintings in this series here.
Remember the kinetic sound installation, Passage Procession? I became obsessed with capturing again in slow motion, but also shrouded in mediative darkness. I call this version Obsidian. Click here for photos and details. 
Degrees of Granularity is a sound installation and collaboration with sound artist, Shomit Barua. 500+ hand-formed pieces of paper-thin porcelain are delicately stacked atop a black mirror. Details & images of this sound piece 
ARTICLE  ––  If you'd like to read / see more of my exhibits during 2020-21, ASID's publication (pgs. 18-23) has a great feature article written by Leann Fernald! She speaks thoughtful to her design community on ideas relating to Impact & Connection through the exploration of my journey, studio practice and pieces I've created and / or exhibited through this pandemic.
Tesseract is a sculpture comprised of two stacked decks of playing cards made of glass. Each of the 104 cards are hand engraved with a simple pattern of points and lines. Stacked 40″ high upon a glass mirror, reflective light accumulates to reveal depth, form, connection and dimension. When thinking of Carl Sagan and his ideas related to the 4th dimension, I don’t sense dark matter as dark, rather a translucent medium for light with interconnections we can’t yet wrap our minds around. ...But you can walk around this one — it’s part of the EXPLORE, Go Boldly exhibit at Tempe Center for the Arts. 
More NEWS > link for the full list of updates, events.
Copper art installation
NEWS cont...
- Excited to share I now have new works available at G2 Gallery in Santa Fe, NM.
  G2 is a newly opened gallery & part of the Gebert Contemporary family of galleries.
- Group exhibit at 515 Gallery through end of August
- More exciting developments are on the horizon & I'm excited those this fall! 
Signing off with this video collaboration with sound artist Bryn Corbett (aka Particle Dots) as we worked towards further abstracting the intersection of time and sound. What I enjoy most about this - is the disorientation that lands somewhere in between witnessing strange, erie, beautiful and engaging - in a sense, mesmerizing and otherworldly.  

As always, I'd love to hear from you with feedback or updates of your own! Feel free to drop me a line and / or connect with me via  social media links below. 

All My Best,
Christine Cassano

No comments: