04 July 2024

Richard Nixon Would Have Loved the Court’s Immunity Decision | John Dean writing in The Atlantic

 Richard Nixon Would Have Loved the Court’s Immunity Decision

I would know.

An image of Nixon superimposed over the January 6 assault on the Capitol
Illustration by The Atlantic. Sources: Joseph Prezioso / AFP / Getty; Henri Bureau / Sygma / Corbis / Getty.

Richard nixon would have been thrilled with the ruling of the U.S. Supreme Court in Trump v. United States earlier this week.

I would know. I served as Nixon’s White House counsel until he fired me in April 1973 for seeking to end the Watergate cover-up by openly cooperating with the investigation of the White House’s involvement. Although I had fewer than 30 one-on-one sessions with President Nixon in the 1,000 days I served him, I was high enough in the pecking order to understand what was occurring and why.

The new ruling, in effect, decriminalizes Nixon’s conduct during the Watergate scandal. . ."

Opinion | The Supreme Court Creates a Lawless Presidency - The New York  Times
Republican glee over "immunity" decision shows they don't fear Donald Trump  — they desire a dictator | Salon.com
Jeh Johnson: An unbelievable decision and a setback to our constitutional  order
Frank Rich: Nixon, Trump, and How a Presidency Ends

No comments:

Eight Books That Will Change Your Perspective | The Atlantic 07 July 2024

An epiphany isn’t always heralded by trumpets or bolts of lightning. I once had a flash of clarity while unlocking my bike: As if I had also...