Elon Musk Announces Artificial Intelligence Company xAI
There's no word on what the company will actually do, beyond its goal to "understand the true nature of the universe."
Corinne ReichertSenior Writer
Corinne Reichert (she/her) grew up in Sydney, Australia and moved to California in 2019. She holds degrees in law and communications, and currently oversees the CNET breaking news desk for the West Coast. Corinne covers everything from phones, social media and security to movies, politics, 5G and pop culture. In her spare time, she watches soccer games, F1 races and Disney movies.
"Announcing formation of @xAI to understand reality," Musk tweeted Wednesday. The xAI website adds that the company's goal is to "understand the true nature of the universe." xAI has tweeted only once so far, to ask: "What are the most fundamental unanswered questions?" A team of 12 people, including Musk, was announced as working for xAI. They say they have experience across OpenAI, DeepMind, Google Research, Microsoft Research and Tesla. They're also being advised by the director of the nonprofit Center for AI Safety. The xAI team will be hosting a Twitter Spaces chat on Friday, July 14, where they might talk about what exactly the company will actually do. The announcement follows Musk filing to incorporate an AI company earlier this year after reports he's planning to create a ChatGPT rival. OpenAI's GPT-4 launched in mid-March. It's the latest version of the large language model that powers the ChatGPT AI chatbot, which among other things is advanced enough to pass the bar exam. In February, Microsoft entered the AI chatbot realm with Bing, which makes use of ChatGPT, and rival Google eventually followed with AI Bard. Chinese giant Alibaba also unveiled a ChatGPT rival with both Chinese and English capabilities. CNET has broken down ChatGPT as well as Bing and Google Bard to work out which is the most helpful. Despite announcing his own AI company, Musk was among more than 1,000 tech folks who signed an open letter in March urging labs to take at least a six-month pause in AI development due to "profound risks" to society from increasingly capable AI engines. OpenAI CEO Sam Altman and DeepMind CEO Demis Hassabis, along with other scientists and notable figures, also signed a statement warning of the risks of AI in June. And Microsoft in May released a 40-page report saying AI regulation is needed to stay ahead of potential risks and bad actors."
Editors' note: CNET is using an AI engine to help create some stories. For more, see this post.
Billy Joel Responds to Fall Out Boy’s Updated Cover of His Hit ‘We Didn’t Start The Fire’
"Go ahead... take it away!"
Billy Joel JASON KEMPIN/GETTY IMAGES
BILLY JOEL HAS apparently been waiting for someone to come along and update his 1989 single “We Didn’t Start the Fire.” In an interview with BBC Radio 2’s Zoe Ball following his headlining performance in Hyde Park last weekend, Joel praised Fall Out Boy for their recent take on the song.
“Everybody’s been wanting to know when there’s going to be an updated version of it, because my song started in ’49 and ended in ’89 — it was a 40-year span,” Joel told Ball. “Everybody said, ‘Well, aren’t you going to do a part two?’ I said, ‘Nah, I’ve already done part one.’ So, Fall Out Boy, go ahead. Great, take it away!”
Unlike the Billy Joel original, Fall Out Boy don’t run through the events in chronological order. It begins with the Captain Planet cartoon series in 1990, jumps to the Arab Spring in 2010, the L.A. Riots in 1992, and the police assault on Rodney King in 1991. As the song continues, it touches on seismic global events (Brexit, the death of Queen Elizabeth, the nuclear accident in Fukushima, Japan), pop culture artifacts (Michael Keaton’s Batman,Twilight, Iron Man, SpongeBob Square Pants), and music moments (My Chemical Romance’s The Black Parade, Woodstock 99).
Fall Out Boy is currently on the road in support of their new LP, So Much (for) Stardust. Joel recently announced he will play the final show of his Madison Square Garden residency in July 2024, over a decade after he kicked off the historic monthly concert series. The final gig will also mark his 150th career show at the New York City arena. He has brought numerous surprise guests onstage throughout the residency, although Fall Out Boy has yet to join him.