29 August 2017

Op-ED Today: Mesa City Council District 3 Ryan Winkle Makes His Case To Rebuild Trust

Image from City of Mesa website
Ryan Winkle: Give me a chance to prove myself after my DUI
Ryan Winkle, AZ I See It Published 6:02 a.m. MT Aug. 29, 2017        
Source: http://www.azcentral.com 
"The solution for me now is facing the reality that I am an alcohol abuser and that I need help to change that. I need to address what isn’t working in my life, and build a path forward with humility, purpose and hope.
That path forward began immediately after May 6. I started alcohol counseling. I have eliminated alcohol from my life. I have accepted the legal consequences and served time in jail. I have apologized and taken responsibility for my wrongdoing. I have surrounded myself with a community that will hold me accountable.
Now I am asking my colleagues on the city council and my constituents for fair discipline, but also for an opportunity to rebuild their trust. . . "
 
BLOGGER NOTE: Obviously not the best time scheduling on a work-day for most residents here in Mesa, nonetheless the Mesa City Council has scheduled a Special City Council Meeting  for this Thursday 08/31/2017 @ 7:30 AM - 10:00 AM

 
 
 
 
 
I want to rebuild your trust
It is because of those relationships, and because of the forgiveness 
". . . We’re going to build a path into the future as one community, because despite my awful mistakes and my struggle with alcohol abuse, I still have a deep passion for the city of Mesa and for working with its people. This will always be one of my highest priorities, no matter which consequences the city council decides are appropriate for the terrible decision I made in May. . . "
______________________________________________________________
Councilmember Ryan Winkle
District 3
Elected to the Mesa City Council in August 2016, Councilmember Ryan Winkle began his first term representing District 3 in January of 2017. His term on the Council runs until January of 2021.
Winkle is one of the co-founders of the Mesa Urban Garden, a community organization that provides fresh produce directly to the community and local food banks. He was a key voice behind turning an empty dirt lot into a point of pride for Downtown Mesa. He is also a co-founder of RAILMesa, a registered neighborhood group that advocates for increased citizen participation, responsible development of housing, transit options and the creation of quality jobs along Mesa’s Light Rail Corridor.

Winkle works as a Community Economic Development Consultant, dealing with underserved communities around the East Valley in the areas of housing options, workforce development, neighborhood revitalization, public outreach and transit-oriented development.

Winkle holds both a Bachelor of Arts in Sustainable Urban Dynamics and a Bachelor of Sciences in Urban Planning from Arizona State University and a Masters of Business Administration from Wilkes University Mesa. Raised in Mesa, Ryan and his wife Ericka have one son, Rian Erick.
Council CommitteesCommunity and Cultural Development- Chair
Economic Development
MAG Human Services Coordinating Committee- Council Representative
City Benefits Advisory Committee- Council Representative
Mesa Sister Cities- Council Representative
Mesa United Way- Council Representative


Arizona Boards and Committees
Maricopa Integrated Health Services Governing Council
East Valley Filipino American Business Chamber of Commerce - President
Former member and Chair - Mesa Historical Museum Board of Directors
AAED Tribal Economic Development Committee
ABAKA Foundation Advisory Board
MAG Human Services Committee

http://mesaaz.gov/city-hall/mayor-council/councilmember-ryan-winkle

No comments: