22 March 2021

Exhibition Showcase: Christine Cassano Artist-in-Residence @ Mesa ArtSpace

Like they say "It's been a while" . . . NEW WORKS                                   NEW EXHIBITIONS
NEW SOUND INSTALLATIONS
Tim

"The world is slowly opening back up and I'm very excited to share with you much of artwork I created during the last 365 days. In an effort to deal with the loss of connection to others, I took this experience to heart and became committed to making something positive out of it. In the strangest way, the universe gave us a unique opportunity to slow down and reflect. I translated that opportunity into my studio.

During isolation, I became pretty good at turning off the electronics and spending large swaths of mediative time working, reading and listening. I went much deeper into the work and stayed there for long amounts of time. This enabled me to better navigate, explore and understand deeper layers with our shared connections / hyper-connections. 

This advanced the work in ways that I am really excited to share with you. I currently have two exhibits up and more good news to share within the coming weeks. If you are in the area, you're invited to visit me at the Mesa Artspace Gallery. It's a large space for a socially-distanced opportunity to reconnect in person through art...

Recursion Exhibit, March 3rd - April 31st
Gallery at Mesa Artspace:  155 S. Hibbert, Mesa 85210

Recursion is a solo exhibition of new works I created (mostly) during Covid19 isolation. Through the use of recursive formations and patterns, my work explores connection, accumulation and convergence as metaphor within our new, hyper-connected era. Works include a range of sculptures, a sound installation, aerial photographs and various approaches two 2D works. You can view the exhibit at a glance on my website

Covid-19: Gallery open by appointment (please text or call me 602.332.2604 to schedule a viewing) AND I am on site with doors open each Sunday from 1:30pm to 5:30pm.

Masks are required and attendance limited to 10 visitors at a time. I would love the opportunity to visit with you and talk with you about this new work. 

SOUND INSTALLATION: Passage Procession 

For those who know me personally, know I have synesthesia which has always deeply influenced me, my perceptions and my work. Synesthesia is a (wonderful) brain abnormality where senses are hard-wired together (hyper-linked). The idea of exploring sound within my work has been of interest for some time, but that transition needed to happen within its own time – and 2020 was the year. I also worked in bronze for the first time. 

This installation will never play the same arrangement twice, so I hope you come to the Mesa exhibit to play your own procession. 

Details about this piece on my website and for now I'll let the105 feet of my own hair and the 21 hand-formed bronze "foramina" speak for themselves (sound on)... 

SLOW MOTION - A MUST WATCH... Below, I recorded this video in slow motion.

It was so powerful, I had to share it here – defining moments of time and vibration  infinitely interconnected. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Exhibit:  EXPLORE, Go Boldly...  at Tempe Center for the Arts
This exhibition looks at space exploration and the cross over metaphors it represents – human curiosity, pushing known and unknown boundaries and dreaming of what could be. This is a group exhibition with some amazing artists.

The gallery hopes to be open in early April with the show running through September, but no firm dates yet. You can get updates here.

And well this one got a bit intense at 48x96” didn’t it? You can see this piece at the Explore exhibit. On wood panel, Recursive Cartography, is a "collage" of paint, copper, cut circuits and small aerial photos I’ve taken. This piece went thru many iterations during isolation, but working these details were incredibly meditative for me. 

Below is a video sneak peek of a new (2nd) Glasshouse of Cards.

Building on the idea for the first glasshouse (triangle), Tesseract is comprised of two decks of cards made entirely of glass. Each of the 104 cards are hand-engraved with a simple pattern of points and lines. Arranged and stacked 40″ high upon a glass mirror, reflective light accumulates to reveal depth, form, intricate connections and multi dimensions.

The pieces at the EXPLORE exhibit are new including a sound sculpture collaboration with sound artist,Shomit Baura. We met over the summer when Marcus and I were camping in Flagstaff and knew almost instantly that we needed to collaborate on a sound project together. Updates on that sound piece coming very soon! 
Lastly, the website received some much needed love during Covid too.
From the home page slider to the about page and everything in between got a lil "CovidLift". Videos & new images have also been added. If you spend some time looking around, I'd love your feedback and please let me know if you catch any glitches, broken links or oops-es. http://www.christinecassano.com
As always, thank you for your ongoing support and I'd love to hear back from you with updates of your own. I miss seeing so many of you in the real world. Soon enough. 

Til' next...
Warm regards,
Christine Cassano

No comments:

Resignation of Ryan Winkle from RAILCDC

My decision to step down from RAILCDC is driven by my desire to serve my community in a different capacity. I am running for Mayor of Mesa, ...