24 April 2022

COVER STORY: Free Market Oasis in The Desert

Governor Doug Ducey fielded wide-ranging questions on a variety of topics in the latest Washington Examiner magazine cover story. Economic recovery, keeping taxes low and shrinking government – the Governor touched on these and other important issues.

Check out excerpts from the story below and read the full article HERE.

A Free-Market Oasis In The Desert

Brad Polumbo
Washington Examiner 
April 21, 2022

Arizona’s Economic Recovery

Washington Examiner: Economic analysis has shown that Arizona is one of 10 states that has now recovered all the jobs lost since the pandemic downturn. What do you credit for that turnaround and success?

Governor Ducey: Well, first, I want to say we were booming before the pandemic. In my first year, I came into office, and we had a billion-dollar deficit and a sluggish economy. So, the first thing we did was make difficult decisions and tighten our belts. And we actually shrank the size of our government in terms of spending, which very rarely happens at any level in government.

We focused on economic development. I ran on kick-starting an economy. I came from the private sector, Cold Stone Creamery was my business. So, from 2015 until 2020, our economy was growing. We were bringing successful economic development wins to Arizona.

I said in my second State of the State [speech] that I’d be remiss if I didn’t thank Arizona’s partner in growing our economy — and that was then-California Gov. Jerry Brown. We just have seen an exodus of people and producers from the state of California that have been coming into our state.

[We were also] getting wins, like [big investments in Arizona from] Lucid Motors, Intel, Taiwan Semiconductor, Nikola, TuSimple, etc. Those types of businesses … time after time, chose Arizona.

 

No comments:

Resignation of Ryan Winkle from RAILCDC

My decision to step down from RAILCDC is driven by my desire to serve my community in a different capacity. I am running for Mayor of Mesa, ...