25 September 2024

"Send in The Clowns"...(Popular versions by YouTube View-Count)

INTRO NOTES: The "clowns" in the title do not refer to circus clowns. Instead, they symbolize fools, as Sondheim explained in a 1990 interview:
"I get a lot of letters over the years asking what the title means and what the song's about; I never thought it would be in any way esoteric. I wanted to use theatrical imagery in the song, because she's an actress, but it's not supposed to be a circus. It's a theater reference meaning "if the show isn't going well, let's send in the clowns"; in other words, "let's do the jokes." I always want to know, when I'm writing a song, what the end is going to be, so "Send in the Clowns" didn't settle in until I got the notion, "Don't bother, they're here", which means that "We are the fools." (from Wiki)

TOP COUNTS 

 


Dame Judi Dench sings "Send in the Clowns" - BBC Proms 2010



Send In The Clowns (From
‘A Little Night Music’)













...and just a couple more 

No comments:

Chuck Berry "Back in the USA"