Chris Hemsworth was worried about playing the villain in Furiosa, the upcoming prequel to Mad Max: Fury Road.

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Hemsworth said that he was initially thrilled to join the cast of Furiosa and work with acclaimed director George Miller. Talking about the upcoming movie, he said, "It's massive and otherworldly and everything you'd expect from the Mad Max world." However, as production loomed, the actor revealed he began to grow very worried about his role. "I wasn't sure what I was going to do," he claimed. "It was starting to get scary the closer I got to shooting. Then, all of a sudden, it clicked, and it was one of the best experiences I've had."

RELATED:Chris Hemsworth Shares Cryptic Info About His Mad Max Character

How Furiosa Challenged Chris Hemsworth

Talking more about his journey to Furiosa, Hemsworth revealed he received the script two years before they started shooting. "It was the most beautiful thing I've read," he said. However, he was terrified that he was going to ruin the Mad Max franchise. While he eventually figured out who his character was, he stated, "In the buildup, and I'm talking a couple years, I was scared out of my mind. I'm like, 'I'm gonna derail one of the most iconic franchises.' I'm gonna bring down Mad Max. It's gonna be my fault."

While he admitted it was a difficult process, Hemsworth, who is best known for playing Thor in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, has claimed that working on Furiosa was the best experience of his career. "I came into that film exhausted. I thought, 'How am I going to get through this?'" However, the actor stated that everything changed once he started rehearsing with Miller. "It was this reigniting of my creative energy... [it was] by far the best experience of my career, and something I feel the most proud of. It made me think, the work isn't what's exhausting, it's what kind of work it is, and how invested I am in it and if it is challenging in the right ways."