28 April 2019

GRAND OPENING HERE IN DOWNTOWN MESA: DTMesa Fest Artists Emporium

Karen and Mark Svoboda have taken the next step after six years of organizing the annual October-April DTMesa Fest on North Macdonald Street - they are now opening The DTMesaFest Artists Emporium to showcase a selection of artisan handcrafts and arts from the street festival vendors into one creative place open five days a week on the east side of historic Chandler Court at the intersection of Main Street in historic downtown Mesa that's getting some more of the kind of hyper-local relationship-building transformation we can believe in!  Two months after signing the lease with Starmar Holdings who purchase the cornerstone property in the heart of Downtown, Karen and Mark have done all the work to open the doors to generations of existing and emerging artists that can complement the new residents of Mesa ArtSpace Lofts. This Saturday turns-the-page to open the next chapter in Creative Placemaking.
It's a work in-progress in the midst of more than a few improvements and new initiatives to encourage economic growth that expands increasing opportunities for arts, culture and  community development.
What you see to the right is the original intact exterior and the original arched windows of Chandler Court while a line-up of existing and emerging artists are unloading their works and starting to set up their displays inside the flowing space.
There's a reception/sales desk in the front lobby with an enormous concrete water feature. There is one gallery space in the right front window plus three more than can accommodate showcasing the fine works of more than 36 artists with regular business hours every week year-round.
GRAND OPENING
Saturday May 4th, 2019
10 AM to 4 PM
6 N MacDonald, Mesa, AZ 85201

Gift Bags (with purchase) to the first 20 customers!
Ribbon Cutting prior to opening!
Free Comic Books will be there for National Comic Book Day!
Food Vendor will be available for yummies!

The mission of the DT Mesa Fest is to provide an environment that encourages the economic and artistic growth of emerging and established artisans, while revitalizing downtown Mesa and building a sense of community.
​This is accomplished with DT Mesa Fest Artists Emporium Year Round & Downtown Mesa Festival of the Arts Oct to Apr
LINK > https://dtmesafest.com/artists-emporium.html
You can follow > on Instagram @dtmesafest 
__________________________________________________________________________
Here's just a few of the artists ::

Victorian Folly - Very funny story as to how I started with the Steampunk Genre.  8 years ago when my youngest daughter wanted to go to the Phoenix Comic-Con (she was only 12).  I saw three young men bare chested with leather suspenders running around with very large brass handmade Steampunk weapons.  I also for the first time saw the fantastical costumes the women wore.  Corsets,  full skirts, out of this world boots and then there was the jewelry.  Gears and watch movements, Dials from clocks, crystals and filigree.  I immediately went home to explore to world of Steampunk.  It took me a couple of years to figure out the quality of watch movement I wanted to use.  Watches from the mid 50’s and prior.  I have a few pocket watches from the 1800’s.  And now I use every part of the watch.  The whole movement mainly, also the dial, gears and hands.  They all have a use.
I chose the name Victorian Folly because the Steampunk era took place during a pseudo Victorian time.  And if I failed it would be my Folly.
6 years ago I started with the Downtown Mesa Festival of the Arts.  Being new to jewelry making and selling DT Mesa Festival of the Arts was the perfect venue and  opportunity to grow my art and business into a full time job.  

My jewelry is a softer more feminine take on classic Steampunk - whimsical, creative yet strong.  I use antique watch movements, dials, and gears applied to vintage reproduction settings made of plated silver, brass and copper finishes.   In my collections I offer handmade rings, necklaces, earrings and bracelets.  I also include a selection of cameo rings, necklaces and bracelets featuring Lolita, Goth and miniature animal skulls. 

ERIC Heying Ceramics - Eric Heying was born in Garden City, Kansas in 1988. After moving to Mesa, Arizona and attending ASU, Eric worked hard to achieve his BFA with a focus in Ceramic Art in 2012.
Being awarded the National Windgate Fellowship in 2012 Eric was able to create his own small studio in his apartment. From that hot little Mesa studio, Eric continues to tinker with the DipCast process he has championed, turning out both functional wares as well as wall hanging pieces. Eric is driven by curiosity as he continues to test the boundaries of the ceramic world with his unique process. Each new piece a step forward into the unknown, he carefully selects from a nontraditional ceramic color palette allowing his work to stand out from the conventional earthen tones of the ceramic field. His work aims to expand the scope of contemporary ceramics through his unique process and mindful color play.


Thomas Watkins Fine Art - I have been training my eye to see the relationships between the elements of composition and design for over 15 years. Often times ignoring the grand landscape, I aim for a glimpse into the more intimate details that make up the smaller pieces of this wonderful world we share. My passion for photography really started when I began printing my own work. In the wet darkroom I learned to use advanced techniques to create a truly fine art print. Later, when ink and paper technologies developed an even greater lifespan than traditional printing, I transferred that knowledge and passion into the digital darkroom where I have even greater control over the creation of my art.
Two Stitching Nanas am Ranae, one of the Two Stitching Nanas! I have been making Super Hero Capes for over 30 years. It all started with making capes for my students at the end of the school year, as gifts. Then it happened my sewing machine broke and was unfix-able. Therefore, I brought a new machine that would also embroidery. WOW, I found more items to make. My longtime friend Fredda joined in the sewing frenzy too. Everything we sale is handmade. We enjoy partaking in craft fairs throughout the Valley. We make kitchen towels, crayon totes, Crayon roll-ups, wreaths, capes, baby bibs, adult shirt protectors, zipper bags, flour sack towels and much more. We enjoy making fun things for children. We have six grand kids between us and they do keep us busy. In addition, between us we have five sewing machines. We have been known to have all five going at the same time!!
Shaw Earth Art - Eleven years ago, my wife asked if I'd like to take a pottery class with her and a friend.  I still have some of my first cups, glasses and mugs that I made.  Some have been chipped, some broken, and many given as gifts.  Some I just can't seem to get rid of yet they are still favorites to use.
I have experimented in different clays, designs, glazes, slips, and firings. I have played with functional and decorative objects.  I have done processes and designs that I see other potters do and I have been complimented by others trying some of my creations and processes




Crazy Lime Salsa I am a Lime-aholic.  I put lime in everything.  I have been making salsa for over 20 years now and have been sharing it with my family and friends.  I have made salsa for weddings, Christmas, Thanksgiving and many family events.   Everyone loved my salsa and they kept telling me that I need to bottle it and sell it.  So I did 8 months ago.  I have looked around the stores at competitors and most of the salsa I have tasted has the same flavor with just more or less heat.  Crazy Lime Salsa is Totally different.  It is bursting with flavor.  The Lime enhances the taste of Tomatoes and makes them sweeter.  With our Medium Hot Salsa you can still tasted the burst of flavor then you get a late heat, so you can enjoy the Salsa then get that kick you are looking for

Three US-supplied ATACMS Missiles Strike Russian Training-Ground near village Rogove, Luhansk region.

  Reddit 12 hours ago Search inside image Three US-supplied ATACMS missiles strike Russian training ground near village Rogove, Luhansk regi...